Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Decorating for Fall

There is a definite crispness to the mornings.  Fall is in the air.   My house was picked up this morning so I decided it was time to get out the big bin of fall decorations...not to be confused with the Halloween or Thanksgiving decorations.



















Just the cats and I are home during the day so I let them hang around.  I would like to think that they are interested in the decorating task at hand.  More likely they are smelling for varmints that may live in the storage room.  As soon as they assessed there were no critters, they left me.



I bought Jack Frost a couple years ago.   He has fairy wings which I thought was a little odd.  Didn't Jack run on the ground painting frost?  I seem to remember cartoons about that.  Up close you can see the sparkle in his beard.

























I stopped by the garden center to pick up a mum to put by the front door.  Threw out the summer flowers as the cold "done her in".   That expressions looks funny when you write it.  Do you know what movie that is from?  It was one of my favorite movies growing up and I have the  LP record in my parent's attic.  "Done her in" is a much nicer way of saying something was killed.

























The simplest thing I do to decorate is change out the pillows in my computer area.  I use these orange ones all the way to Thanksgiving.

























At the grocery store, I picked up something that is either a flowering kale or a dwarf ornamental cabbage.  I can't tell.  My dad has his PhD in plant physiology.  Growing up he was always quizzing us on the species of things so you would think I could be better at this kind of thing.  Every week I pick up a small bouquet of fresh flowers.  It is one of the little things in life that has a big impact in my outlook.  It's my eye candy.






The grocery store was also selling glass pumpkins again this year.  They are under $10 which I think is a great deal.  I bought an orange one this year to round out my collection.  Collecting glass peices from the grocery store is a lot more fun than collecting stamps like they did when I was growing up.


















We will keep these decorations up until October 1st.  Then it is time to add in some witches, ghosts, and jack-o-lanterns.  Boy, fall decorating sure has grown over the years.

2 comments:

  1. I can't place the done her in comment.

    love those mums...fab bokeh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is from My Fair Lady. I guess I must have that movie memorized. Here is a clip of that part of the movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uozGujfdS0&feature=related

    Gosh, I loved the music and costumes of that show...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Mostly I am writing these stories down for my family, who as of late seem to be scattering like the wind. As much as I hate to admit it, I DO love comments as they encourange me to continue! :)