Sunday, October 24, 2010

Five poses

I took a break from blogging while the college kids were home.  I write mostly for them so they know what is happening at home.  Lucas is now back at Luther and complaining.  So back to our regular scheduled programming.

 Drew needed 5 full body photos of himself for his technologies class.  Finally, the kids are ASKING for me to take photos of them.  Drew said they are going to cut themselves out and paste their images into various backgrounds in Photoshop.
  Of course he asked me at 3:30 on the darkest, rainiest afternoon we have had in weeks.   I was bound and determined to use natural light so I thought I could use the garage as my "studio".  I was hoping the 50mm lens, would get some nice bokah to blur the garbage can and other unsightliness....but to get his whole body in, I had to use the wider lens so my background is nice and clear.  Great.  Let me now photograph the mess under my bed.











































 We did our best to move whatever mess we could from the garage.  I mentioned to him that he should put on shoes but he said it was fine to be barefoot.  Okay...whatever.
  In my opinion, most guys are not natural posers.  I had a hard time getting him to do different things with his hands, feet, face that looked good.  Here are some of the rejects.

 






I had him do the never fail pose...the squat.  He liked this one and it made the cut.






So did this pose he calls superhero.






And he called this one angry.   Too bad you can see the smirk.



He called this pose "serious".  I call it "ugly garage corner with oil stain".




He only approved 4 poses.  I asked Drew why some of the others didn't work.  He said that he thinks they are going to do a cartoon strip featuring themselves as "Students by day...Super Hero by night".  He said the poses weren't student or super hero quality.  We will try to shoot some more in the garage on Sunday.  It is expected to rain all day.   I can't wait to see how he works his bare feet in this project so he doesn't look weird pasted into a school scene or in the city.  He must be going for the hillbilly angle or a character called SuperToes.

3 comments:

  1. I expect to tune in tomorrow for the scheduled broadcast. Another great post, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael and I read your blog while he was in HCHH, he said reading your bold was always the time that he got serious homesicking while he already felt like home in China. Keep the good blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael and I read your blog while he was in HCHH, he said reading your bold was always the time that he got serious homesicking while he already felt like home in China. Keep the good blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Mostly I am writing these stories down for my family, who as of late seem to be scattering like the wind. As much as I hate to admit it, I DO love comments as they encourange me to continue! :)