When we were looking for material, my friend Diana, who just so happens to work at Mill End Textile, found some cute polar fleece that would be cute for a young college girl. Jacob wanted to use that for a quilt for his girlfriend, Melanie. She was coming up to the cabin for a few days too. He chose pink leopard for the back of this quilt. I think our family has a thing for animal prints.
Jacob also bought some MN Gopher Fleece for a blanket to take to the Ridley's.
Blankets #4 & #5 were made of cuddle fleece . Unfortunately, you can't tie cuddle fleece so that means I had to drag out the old Singer sewing machine. I discovered that the foot pedal was broken so the girls took turns manually depressing the lever so I could sew the right sides together. Let's just say sewing is not my thing.
I read this quote by Martha Graham that said, "You see, when weaving a blanket, an Indian woman leaves a flaw in the weaving of that blanket to let the soul out." This sounds reasonable so I embraced all my flaws in the blankets to give the souls lots of room to escape.
All in all, it was fun making the blankets but glad I am not a full time crafter. I will stick to photography and photobooks.

Beautiful quote and blankets :o)
ReplyDeleteThere is an Amish quote about quilting...and it says something to the effect that ...we leave a flaw in the quilt because only God is perfect....
something like that...