I read a daily devotion from Henry Nouwen about solitude that challenged me. It was about how dependent we have become with the daily business of our lives to give us purpose. When we are alone to think or pray, often times we are anxious and tense.
When nobody speaks to us, calls on us, or needs our help, we start feeling like nobodies. Then we begin wondering whether we are useful, valuable, and significant. Our tendency is to leave this fearful solitude quickly and get busy again to reassure ourselves that we are "somebodies."
I am still chewing on this one. When I don't hear from family or friends, I start to think about what I have done to offend ...real or otherwise. The 3 kids leaving the nest definitely has me anxious. We said goodbye to Jacob on Sunday.
I am going to ponder these thoughts this week and work on getting more comfortable in my skin.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please feel free to leave a comment. Mostly I am writing these stories down for my family, who as of late seem to be scattering like the wind. As much as I hate to admit it, I DO love comments as they encourange me to continue! :)